Shattered Glass

Monday, November 14, 2011

"From the classroom to the newsroom"

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say the real world is indeed just that - real.

After I graduated from college I thought I was as prepared as could be to land that first big job on television.

That was of course until I took a long hard look....at my closet.

Jeans, T-shirts, sweaters...yep...everything a girl needed to survive the peaks and valleys of collegiate life. An interview however? Not so much.

I've spent the past 24 years cultivating my sense of "style." My collection - priceless.

Needless to say, broadening my taste to include the "unfamiliar" was a rather...well...foreign experience. 

I couldn't fathom having to compromise my favorite stores, designers, shoes...all for the job I didn't have. I was frustrated.

But, I realized rather quickly, if I had any hopes of making it to the top, I had to start thinking and dressing like I was already there.

First stop - The Limited

I'm a sucker for a quality sweater set, which The Limited, come to find, is universally known for. I mean honestly, what reporter/anchor doesn't own a good sweater set? The two essentially go hand-in-hand.

Though they had a reasonably priced selection of skirts and slacks, I found it hard to find something that complimented my body, from there it was on to the next. 

And the next. And the next...

I would say after countless hours at the mall (and searching endlessly online), I achieved success. 

After much deliberation, my top three most reliable stores for prim and proper, yet flattering work attire are:

1. Talbots (expensive, but classic and worthwhile)
2. Ann Taylor (semi-expensive)
3. NY & Company (surprisingly great fits and even better prices!)

For a woman in her mid-20's, it's not easy trying to find the right thing to wear to work. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and call it exactly like it is, down right difficult!

I can hear my mother now...

"Nothing too sexy, that's a bit too revealing, aren't those pants too loose?"

Oh, I could lament for days. But I'm sure you've all heard it before, so I'll spare you my mother's voice.

Much like anything else, compiling your "workdrobe" takes time and requires trial and error (if you're anything like me).

After all, dressing the part in the "real" world can profoundly affect your career in the long run.

The academic world, well that's a different story, I'm sure you've graced your 8am class with the joy of your PJs every once and again freshman year.

(Guilty).

The bottom line - revamping your closet before that first interview might be daunting, but it's worth your while. It's a life long investment. A worthy one at that.

Here are a few "workdrobe" staples that have served me well...who knows...maybe you'll be inspired to pick up a few the next time you head out to the mall.

         TIPS TO SPRUCE UP YOUR "WORKDROBE":

1.Invest in a pair of solid black leather pumps and nude/taupe pumps - THEY MATCH WITH EVERYTHING!
aldo.com

 
These pumps are fashionable, yet sensible. Aldo,$55.






                  2.Blazers!

talbots.com
I'm a HUGE fan of these. Tweed is super chic, warm, and matches with most things! Talbots, 
$199








                  

3. Solid black dress!
 
talbots.com

I love this dress because it's youthful, yet sophisticated. Also I love the sexy trim along the bottom and the waist belt! Talbots, $169







                   
                   
4. White collared shirt!
anntaylor.com

Finding the right white button down is difficult. This is chic and different, yet appropriate.I love the ruffles. Ann Taylor, $78 








                     
 5. Pencil skirt!
nyandcompany.com

A woman always needs a pencil skirt! This "pop" of color is perfect as well. Not too strong, not too weak. Love it! NY & Co., $24












These are just some basics that I think every woman should have before she ventures out into the boardroom or conference room. To quote my fabulous friend Becca, "it's all about comfort, without looking like a slob!"

1 comment:

  1. Just a bit of input here:
    -Don't let your pumps be too high in the workplace. No one will thank you when you complain about sore feet. Invest in Foot Petals...your feet will thank you!
    -Ruffles are a great way to add that feminine touch to any outfit.
    -A blazer is a MUST for the workplace!
    -Mixing and matching is a great way to be the modern businesswoman fashionista!
    -Your pencil skirt should accentuate but not so tight that it's scandy!

    ReplyDelete